Sunday, August 30, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Who is familiar with Debian? Will it run OK on my laptop?

 

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 06:19:26PM -0700, relztrah@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> My wife just got a new laptop for her birthday and I'll get her old Acer laptop with an ADM C-50 processor running at 1 GHz and 8 GB of RAM.
>
> I have been using Puppy (Tahrpup) for a couple years on an very old IBM Thinkpad and really like Puppy, and it runs great on this jalopy. But I imagine that the Acer can handle a more robust distro.

I did one of those online distro chooser surveys, and Debian came out as the best choice for me since I want stability and don't do any tinkering under the hood. Will the latest release of Debian run on this Acer given its configuration? I don't do any high-end operations like video editing or gaming. Mainly I just need it for documents, spreadsheets, email and surfing.

It should be fine. Usually, the only issues will be things liek a wireless
card, but if the machine is older than a year or so, wireless will almost
certainly work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment