Thursday, October 23, 2003

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux help

 

I will try your suggestions. I can down load the programs, but can't get them up and running. My main problem is that I need to learn to use Linux. I know it will work when I do that. I have lived in the Windows environment for 20 years. So far, I like what I see in linux.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Ron.......
----- Original Message -----
From: Trevor Pearson
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux help

Joan Leach wrote:

>
>
> I am new to the group and Linux operating system. I am trying to get
> started. I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 and updated on line. The programs seem to
> be working great. My problems stem from trying to download other
> programs to use for ham radio. I operate packet and psk31 and need good
> terminal and waterfall programs. I downloaded some but can't figure out
> how to make them run.
>
> When you download a linux program on line, what steps are needed to get
> them running. I know it must be simple for the experienced user but I
> don't know what to do.
>
> All comments and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Ron, AA5NI.......

Ron,

Did you download from the 'add / remove software' menu or are these
programs you found on web sites ? There are essentially three ways you
downloaded software and getting it running depends on knowing what you did.

If you used the add/remove programs or package manager or typed "apt-get
install " then the software will have automatically installed and be
ready for use, you might need to check the web page for the software to
see how to run it.

If you downloaded it then you either downloaded a 'package' or a 'tar
ball' check your home directory and the 'download' folder for files
ending in '.deb' or '.tar.gz' or 'tgz'

You can just doubleclick a '.deb' file and a wizard will appear and
guide you through installing the software and it will then be ready to use.

If you have a tar ball life is a bit a tricky. Best way is to open up a
command prompt window and type "sudo bash" you will be prompted for your
password. enter your password and then you will be see a slightly
different prompt with the word 'root' in it. type "cd ~/download" to
change directory to the place you have downloaded the file. then the
following where <filename> is whatever precedes the .tar.gz bit

mv *.tgz (or *.tar.gz) /usr/local
cd /usr/local
tar -xvzf <filename>.tgz ---- tar -xvjz for '.bz' type files
cd <filename>
./configure
make
make install

It is not unusual to get an error message after typing ./configure --
missing dependencies are the issue and it is quite easy to fix just type
apt-get install <name of missing package as shown in error message> and
try again.

Trevor.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment