Monday, August 20, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] How to Use Root on Ubuntu

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, william vanderstarre <william32062000@...> wrote:
>
> how do use root in Ubuntu.. i"m punting my password in.
>  and its saying Authentication  failure.. do have set up root first ?
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

I think Ubuntu wants you to use sudo. If you want a persistent root shell then use sudo -s. When sudo asks you for your password it wants your user's password, not root's.

What does Ubuntu do when you drop into single user mode? It has to give you a "real" root shell then doesn't it? I don't know, I run Debian which does allow me to login as root. I never do though. I took the trouble of setting up sudo on Debian and just use sudo if I need root access. Good enough.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment