Sunday, August 26, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: (unknown)

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> I guess it is easier to remember for Debian or Fedora users to use su than
> -s because that is the terminal command in those environments. Both su an
> -s will work. I recommend using whatever you can remember, but just be
> consistent. Insisting on one way can lead to confusion in my experience. In
> Fedora it is su - to make things more confusing. But in Debian it is just
> su. I find telling people to use su is more consistent with the way it is
> done by Debian. If one is coming from more of a Unix or BSD background then
> sudo -s makes sense, but these people are rare. I blame Canonical for
> mixing sudo into a Debian shell. ;) It confounded me for a long time and
> now I struggle with su - in Fedora.
>
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>

To me su means switch user and sudo means switch user and do. It is rare I really want to switch my user. I usually just want the permissions in order to do something so for me sudo seems to better describe what I want. When I install Debian I do not even get sudo by default. I have to explicitly install it, then configure it myself. I don't do a typical desktop install though. Far from it.

Just to head off all the folks that want to cry I am wrong, they get it when they install, etc. To that I say that's nice. If anyone wishes to duplicate how I install pick expert install, then choose nothing, done.

There are likely many things about my systems that are atypical. Years of practice ...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment