Monday, February 24, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] RE: Linux and MD5 checksums

 

Hello
First here is a link to a utility to calculate the md5checksum http://www.winmd5.com/.
The md5checksum listed on the website for the file you download, should match the number produced by the md5checksum program. This way you know the file has been completely downloaded. If the md5checksum do not match than the file is corrupted and has to be downloaded again, do not use the file delete the file.
Second here is a link to distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/, which is starting point to find out about the different Linux operating system, and there a great many.
Important notes: from distrowatch: Click on Mint or Mageia distro links and one should see a list of information about the distro. Here is Mageia distro :

  • OS Type: Linux ( this is the kernel which interacts with the CPU) 
  • Based on: Independent (originally forked from Mandriva) (this handles other hardware)
  • Origin: France
  • Architecture: i586, x86_64
  • Desktop: Cinnamon, GNOME, IceWM, KDE, MATE, LXDE, Openbox, Razor-qt, WMaker, Xfce ( The different Desktops are what use the greatest amount of system resources. Note There are many different desktops to choose from, but windows has only one desktop Windows)
---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <gfalck@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I have no experience with Linux but I have an old netbook
that is on WindowsXP. It isn't capable enough to be upgraded,
even if I wanted to.

I have used up my fastest internet connection allowance
trying various things and I'm pretty much tripped up over
the MD5 checksum--nothing matches.

Obviously I first need to know what MD5 calculator is OK.
I found one on the Linux website but the given checksum
is for an earlier version than what is actually available at
the link. I can't really expect that to match, can I.

What should I be using?

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@...

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment