Monday, July 20, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] linx mint slow

 

Defragging is unnecessary in Linux, Mint or otherwise. The file system takes care of that. It stores data differently from Windows, allowing space for files to grow and then over time silently moving things in the background. 

In my experience, the two biggest reasons for Linux slowing down running low on space in your root file system and having too large a swap file or none at all. If the root file system gets too small then it cannot cache files, especially media files or burning disks. The only time I have really messed up a Linux installation was when I ran out of space on my root partition. Things have got better since then and you can more easily fix things up from the recovery mode in grub.  You will not have the same problem if you run out of space in a home partition. Once you delete a few files then you can be running back to normal speed.

There are utilities to help clean up your root file system. They will remove duplicate files, unused files, orphans, and clean out caches.

I don't know specifically what problem you have but I would look at your file system and see what size of swap file you have and how much free space you have in your root partition. Your swap file should be roughly equal to your RAM. In the old days it used to be double, but RAM is usually much larger than most people need in a modern computer.

My computer runs slowly, but it is a hardware issue. It runs slowly in both Linux and Windows. The difference is that I leave Linux on for weeks at a time. Re-booting periodically will improve things. Time for a new computer soon for me.

Roy



On Saturday, July 18, 2015 6:06 PM, "n9kvx@sbcglobal.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
My linux mint is running slow and i am new to linux..how can I improve my performance in running my computer faster..??Looking to defrag,,and delete junk files and all no clue how to do that..


__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment