Wednesday, June 27, 2018

[LINUX_Newbies] Cant launch IRAF

 

I installed a program called IRAF. It came back and said:
Congratulations! IRAF has been successfully installed on this system.

It then said:
To begin using IRAF you can simply type
% source ~/.login
% cl

However, when I executed the first line, i.e. source ~/.login, it came
back and said:
-bash: /home/stanlepast/.login: line 6: syntax error: unexpected end of
file.

The .login file has the following statement:
# add iraf setup commands
if ( -e /home/stanlepast/.iraf/setup.csh) then
source /home/stanlepast/.iraf/setup.csh
endif

The first line in .login is a blank line and so the sixth line is after
endif. What does this conditional statement do? It seems to be dependent
on what -e does.

I can alternate between two command prompts:
stanlepast@Sky:~$
and
stanlepast@sky:/$

The install program to install IRAF was run in a folder I created called
iraf.v2161 in the directory(right word?) controlled by the
stanlepast@Sky:/$ prompt, the one without the tilde. It lists the
iraf.v2161 folder when I enter the command 'ls'. The .iraf folder in the
file path in the .login file is in the stanlepast@Sky:~$ directory, the
one with the tilde. When I entered the command
source ~/.login
it was done in from the iraf.v2161 folder which is in the
stanlepast@Sky:/$ directory, the one without the tilde.

Should I should have installed IRAS in a folder in the stanlepast@Sky:~$
directory? Is that the reason I cannot get IRAF to run? I'm confused as
to which is the home directory, the one with the tilde or the one
without. The one with the tilde comes up when I boot the machine.
However, when I enter 'cd /' it is supposed to take me to the home
directory and it takes me to is the one without the tilde.
Stan

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment