Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Changing file-folder colors and screen output

 

Scott,
I could see that the 'source' command is like an 'execute'. I know there
is a way to permanently mount the USB port (if port is the right word),
but after copying one file from the thumb drive to a file in linux I
have no immediate need to access it now. Remembering
mount /dev/sdb1 USB-1
is not possible and so I created a file with this line in it. I ran
source usbmount.stan
and it mounted the USB port. Very neat.
Stan

On 6/26/2018 2:22 PM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:38:11PM -0700, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
>> Thanks Joan, Bruce, Scott, and Ken. ls --color and ls -a --color works,
>> but I have to enter --color all the time. I guess some kind of change I
>> did not want occurred in a file. I will probably have to find it and set
>> it back to what it was using nano.
>>
> You can make your own .bashrc do the alias
>
> In $HOME you should have a file .bashrc with a dot in front of it, That
> means it's a hidden file.
>
> In it put
> alias ls='ls --color'
>
> Then type
>
> source .bashrc
>
>
>> I assume pipe works in other commands, such as cl, besides ls. I had run
>> a cl command and it came up with more than a page full of messages and I
>> wanted to see the beginning.
>>
> Piping works with any command.
>
> You can also usually redirect something to a file to look at later. For
> example ls> list.txt
>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment