Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Changing file-folder colors and screen output

 

Thanks, Ken. There is a lot of detailed information in the link you
gave. Some day I might change the colors with the method they give. The
dark blue color for files is hard to see, but for now the following got
me back to where I was.
alias ls='ls --color'
source .bashrc

Stan

On 6/26/2018 4:31 PM, 'Ken (desco) Ramsey ' desco1kr@desco1.com
[LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> https://www.howtogeek.com/307899/how-to-change-the-colors-of-directories-and-files-in-the-ls-command/
>
> Describes printing, changing values, saving the original file. I have an
> original file if you need it.
>
>
> ..
> On 6/26/2018 3:38 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net
> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
>> Thanks Joan, Bruce, Scott, and Ken. ls --color and ls -a --color works,
>> but I have to enter --color all the time. I guess some kind of change I
>> did not want occurred in a file. I will probably have to find it and set
>> it back to what it was using nano.
>>
>> I assume pipe works in other commands, such as cl, besides ls. I had run
>> a cl command and it came up with more than a page full of messages and I
>> wanted to see the beginning.
>> Stan
>>
>> On 6/26/2018 11:08 AM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>>
>>>> From: "Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net [LINUX_Newbies]"
>>>>
>>> <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
>>>
>>>> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:56 AM
>>>> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Changing file-folder colors and screen output
>>>>
>>>> I am running the terminal version of Ubuntu. I think this is what
>>>>
>>> it is
>>>
>>>> called. I enter line commands rather than having a gui interface.
>>>>
>>>> Yesterday when I entered 'ls -a' the files and folder names were
>>>> colored, i.g., files were a deep blue. It has always been this way.
>>>>
>>> This
>>>
>>>> morning the print color of files and folders are all white. This makes
>>>> it hard to distinguish files from folders. What happened? On the
>>>> internet the suggestions were to go into a file and modify some
>>>> settings. This seems to be an extreme measure, unless somehow the
>>>> dircolors got corrupted. How can I get back to what I had?
>>>>
>>> You can try ls --color. Perhaps a default preference got changed in an
>>> update or the like?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> As another issue, I think I read somewhere how to control the screen
>>>> display of, say, error messages so that it does not scroll all the way
>>>> to the bottom. When it scrolls all the way to the bottom I cannot see
>>>> the very first top lines if the output is larger than the screen size.
>>>> What do I do to control scrolling?
>>>> Stan
>>>>
>>> The scroll lock key? You can pipe a command that you expect to give a lot
>>> of text to more or less, e.g ls home|more
>>>
>>> This will stop at the bottom of the screen and to continue, you hit the
>>> space bar.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scott Robbins
>>> PGP keyID EB3467D6
>>> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
>>> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Posted by: Stan Gorodenski<stanlep@commspeed.net>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com& you will be removed.
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Yahoo Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment