Sunday, February 19, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: HP ScanJet 5100C question

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina" <rapiertoledana@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I would like to ask help with the installation of my old HP Scanjet 5100C flatbed scanner onto Linux OS system Opensuse 11.4.
>
> I googled for help an came across these links:
>
> http://laffers.net/howtos/how-to-install-hp-scanjet-5100c-on-suse-linux/
>
> and
>
> http://meeg.elvenrealms.net/tech/scanjet5100c/
>
> I tried to follow it but cannot understand one part of the method this one:
>
> Insert a new line near the line 1008 (in the list of export symbols)
>
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(parport_get_port);
>
> How do I edit the file that they want me to put this line in? This part has me stumped,I opened it with gedit but I cannot edit and save the file, How do I edit it so I can insert the above line in the EXPORT Symbols section?
>
> Also I downloaded already the ppscsi-beta2-20060424.tar.gz file mentioned in the site and my question is how do I install these files through terminal?
>
> Please help thanks.
>

Sounds like a permissions problem to me. Your user doesn't have permissions to edit the file.

ls -l /usr/src/linux/drivers/parport/share.c

To see who does.

Probably root owns it and the src group. If that is the case then add your user to the src group and try again.

# adduser christina src

logout then back in to escalate privileges.

The rest of the instructions look pretty detailed to me up until you need to set your system up to load the modules automatically. Once you can load the modules manually come back and ask again.

Because that is a whole other can of worms.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment