Tuesday, July 24, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: An Application I just Discovered

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Hodges" <bobh@...> wrote:
>
> I've used Gambas before, it's actually pretty cool. The problem is that if you want to run your app on another machine, the entire Gambas (and dependencies) need to be installed as well - a serious PITA. Not exactly good for writing apps you have any plans on distributing. From that perspective, Gambas is an absolute mess.
>
> For an actual realistic solution of "Visual Basic for Linux", use RealStudio. It's not free, but really good stuff. I've been using it to write distributable GUI Linux apps for many years.
>
> http://www.realbasic.com

Good to know! I assumed when I "compiled" an executable it was exactly that, a compiled executable.

file is telling me differently though:

$ file HelloWorld.gambas
HelloWorld.gambas: a gbr2 script text executable

I guess the same could be said of any interpreted scripting language though? Such as perl or python? I kind of need those installed to make that stuff run too.

I still think Gambas is pretty slick and I'll use it to make little calculators and stuff that I can use for some other interests of mine.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment