Wednesday, July 11, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Aptitude fails to configure 'dirmngr'

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:
>
> I think you are barking at the wrong tree. The testing branch is for
> testing... If you want something functional for daily use, you probably
> want to find a more stable release.

The problem with Debian stable is it would be more aptly named Debian Stale. By the time the Debian team is ready to put the stable stamp on a release it is usually about 2 years out of date. Which can lead to problems if one wishes to run some software not found in the distribution repository.

cat /etc/debian_version says 6.0.5 on this machine but whether I'm running pure stable or not is a point of contention.

~$ dpkg -l | grep "~bpo" | wc -l
37

I've done a bit of other monkey business here and there in order to get some things to work too. For instance du -h on /usr/local returns 865M which is a fair chunk of my /usr directory that totals 5.6G

Watching that scroll by reminded me why I love Linux so much. Seeing so many old friends, even if only fleetingly ...

This box is young yet. I've only been running it for a couple months now. It is getting there though. I like a certain level of cruft to be really comfortable. Building a thick enough layer up can take me a couple of years.

Linux, computing the way it was meant to be.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment