Thursday, April 4, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: How many Indian Languages in Linux

 

Thanks a lot guys...

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:37:30PM -0700, Justin Bell wrote:
> > I hope somebody has got back to you by now. 
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure if your question refers to American Indian Languages
> > -  or Languages from the Asian Continent like Hindi or Sancript?
> >
>
> Judging from the .in suffix, I'm guessing Indian as the original, the
> subcontinent of Asia.
>
>
>
> > I think the answer to question will depend on what version of Linux you are interested in - like Ubuntu or Fedora etc.
> >
> I think Justin is probably correct here. I know that Fedora has support
> for many languages. At work, I know someone who uses Tamil, (not sure if
> that is used in India proper), someone else writes in Urdu, though somewhat
> ironically I know of no one here using Hindi.
>
> A quick search of Indian languages Fedora, brings me to this page
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/11/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-International_Language_Support.html
>
> Towards the end of the page is section 4.4.4 which lists
>
>
> Gujarati
> Hindi
> Kannada
> Kashmiri
> Konkani
> Maithili
> Marathi
> Nepali
> Punjabi
> Sindhi
> Telugu
>
> (I don't see Urdu listed there--the friend who uses Tamil and the one who
> uses Urdu both use Ubuntu).
>
>
> Hope this helps a little. I would guess that most of the major Indian
> language groups are supported.
>
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Giles: You never train with me anymore. He's gonna kick your ass.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment