Monday, April 1, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: USB Ethernet Adapter (OT) build your own kernel

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <petem001@...> wrote:
>
> I am with you Paul.
>
> I started up with debian 1.1 (Buzz) and I was doing the network install over a windows internet share on a 28.8k modem..
>
> I had to wait hours for “package” to download.. And I was compiling my kernels.. I dont do that anymore as most of the time the kernels that come with the disto I use alway’s fit.
>
> But It is a good Idea to know how a kernel is built, and sometimes when I feel like optimizing my machine I do a kernel compile.. And its fun!
>

Thanks. Whenever I see what looks like someone telling someone else not to do something in Linux that is an accepted procedure I try to counter that. As far as I'm concerned, "replace any kernel with a 'vanilla' kernel from www.kernel.org BUT as the name of this group is Linux newbies I won't recommend doing this on a computer that you'll need to use" is about the biggest piece of bad advise I can think of.

The name of the group is Linux Newbies but it isn't Perpetual Linux Newbies. Everyone has to take the training wheels off eventually and learn how to balance on their own.

Building a Linux kernel is one of the traditional rites of passage in Linux too. A task that I believe is an integral part of the enrichment process. So in the spirit of having said all of that would everyone please join me in a chant, make, make, make, MAKE!

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment