Monday, April 1, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: USB Ethernet Adapter (OT) build your own kernel

One thing to remember is to use stable kernel. The release number is
simple. A kernel 2.6 is stable, a kernel 2.7 is unstable or developement .
Unless you fell adventurous ;-) . Any release that end with a odd numer is
unstable.

And you can make any number of kernel you want, you will be able to fall
back to your working kernel as you wish if you work properly with your boot
loader.


Le lundi 1 avril 2013, Paul a écrit :

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com');>, <petem001@...> wrote:
> >
> > I am with you Paul.
> >
> > I started up with debian 1.1 (Buzz) and I was doing the network install
> over a windows internet share on a 28.8k modem..
> >
> > I had to wait hours for “package†to download.. And I was compiling
> my kernels.. I dont do that anymore as most of the time the kernels that
> come with the disto I use alway’s fit.
> >
> > But It is a good Idea to know how a kernel is built, and sometimes when
> I feel like optimizing my machine I do a kernel compile.. And its fun!
> >
>
> Thanks. Whenever I see what looks like someone telling someone else not to
> do something in Linux that is an accepted procedure I try to counter that.
> As far as I'm concerned, "replace any kernel with a 'vanilla' kernel from
> www.kernel.org BUT as the name of this group is Linux newbies I won't
> recommend doing this on a computer that you'll need to use" is about the
> biggest piece of bad advise I can think of.
>
> The name of the group is Linux Newbies but it isn't Perpetual Linux
> Newbies. Everyone has to take the training wheels off eventually and learn
> how to balance on their own.
>
> Building a Linux kernel is one of the traditional rites of passage in
> Linux too. A task that I believe is an integral part of the enrichment
> process. So in the spirit of having said all of that would everyone please
> join me in a chant, make, make, make, MAKE!
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment