Thursday, April 18, 2013

Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Ampache + amarok running on unslung - is it possible?

 

Ah, now I think I understand.  You're using Ampache to browse and playback audio locally via the USB audio device.  I thought you were successfully streaming audio using Ampache to an HTTP client.  That's the part that's tricky with the Slug (you need to figure out how to either avoid transcoding, or transcode using integer math exclusively - floating point processing will bring the meager Slug to a crawl).


I'm more than happy with MPD and native clients (I use MPoD and MPaD for iOS) to manage playback, though I do have a web front-end running as well (the delightfully usable and lightweight RelaXX - the AJAX implementation is quite adequate).

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Joao <j-mir@sapo.pt> wrote:
 

Hi, Threeeyedtoad!

Thank you for your feedback!

I'm surprised with your trouble about the transcoding thing. I got Ampache up and running on my slug almost 'out of the box', i.e., the only thing I had to manually insert at the the ampache's config file (ampache.conf.php) was the newly created database password (see below); the transcoding section was left untouched with it's default values...

I'm sure any more experienced user than me (I have a scarce, just very basic knowledge of linux) will get at least the same or even better results. So, if you're interested in running ampache on your slug, I think you should give it another try:

1) Just pick and install from ampache's project download page the older, 3.5.4, version (https://github.com/ampache/ampache/tree/3.5.4) and not the newest one; I use lighttpd as the webserver and I installed ampache files under lighttpd folder; ampache reacts reasonably fast in both cases -- when you try to access it from a local address and from the wan side as well (provided you get some sort of a working dns service.

2) Make sure you have on your unslung slug a working version of MPD and all related software (most of them installed at the same time); and also: mysql, php (plus some php modules indicated at ampache's install page) and maybe phpmyadmin as well -- you might need it! At least, in my case, the only way it worked for me in order to finish the instalation process (web based) and get a working config file was to edit the new user database (created on 1th stage during install) using phpmyadmin; that allowed me to assign it a password and finally get a successfull login at ampache's login webpage. No need to edit ampache.conf.php file after that (at least for the basic features to work).

3) finally, be patient with the beast (ampache) and the slug: after clicking one of those green buttons at ampache web interface in order to send an item (or an entire album) to the playlist (in 'local play mode' and through a wireless connection) I usually have to wait 10-15 secs before the poor slug starts to output the music to the hi-fi system... but then it works just fine, no gaps, including the album art and the other randomization features!

Finally, concerning Amarok, I guess I'd better drop that idea -- I cannot figure a way to install it on unslung... Maybe you could suggest something? Once again, thanks for the feedback and for the links!
Salut!
Joao



--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
>
> Getting Ampache (and possible Amarok) running on a Slug sounds like an
> achievement... I wasn't able to get a good streaming solution running on
> the Slug, due to the lack of a FPU (most transcoding solutions require it).
>
> I tried using MPD's built-in streaming capability, but again, the
> transcoding requirements were a deal breaker. As a result, I cobbled
> together a Perl-based solution that allows me to take playlists created in
> MPD and use them to feed MP3s to an Icecast server for streaming mp3s over
> HTTP. The Perl scripts have allowed me to cobble a solution together using
> ices as the glue between MPD and Icecast. This solution basically just
> dumps the MP3 to Icecast without any transcoding.
>
> These links describe the solution in adequate detail:
>
> http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Webradio
> http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Hack:ices-client
> http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2
>
> Very curious to hear about your experiences with Ampache and Amarok.
>
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Joao wrote:
>
> > **

> >
> >
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I got Ampache v.3.5.4 (a «rich», i.e., *heavy* MPD web client) running on
> > my unslung 6.10 slug and connected to a pair of Hi-Fi speakers through a
> > cheap Media-C usb soundcard (kinda slow but it works!).
> >
> > I wonder if it's possible to install on top of it the media player Amarok?
> > The newest 2.7 release uses mysql5 (not included yet on ipkg's repo), but
> > maybe and older version (just like Ampache) that uses mysql will do the job?
> >
> > Any hint or feedback about similar successful (or unsuccessful) attempts
> > would be very much appreciated...
> > Salut!
> > J. Miranda
> >
> >
> >
>


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment