Saturday, October 19, 2013

RE: Re: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] USBs Read only

 

I had browsed through the Gizmo's Tips and Tricks before but didn't understand much of it. With your suggestions I was able to determine that Gizmo's "Create an Advanced File Manager" was something I should try. As a result, I was able to figure out how to change the USB permissions to read-write. Thanks.

"you can install others (file managers) using Synaptic", I didn't know that and don't know how I would search for a file manager in Synaptic and then determine what/which/why to install.

"XFCE with LXDE core added", for me, when experienced Linux users post phrases such as this it just adds to my confusion. I have to go searching to find out what XFCE and LXDE are and then wonder why I even want to know that. All to often I find myself discouraged by the amount of time I have to spend deciphering messages that contain references and/or terms that experienced Linux users take for granted. Such is the case in the link you provided for Roy's message: "change to su or
use sudo first" and "change file permissions from Nautilus or Dolphin, etc. (eg. sudo nautilus)". To me, that is a foreign language, not newbie language. ;)



---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <linux_newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Walt,
Since Mint is from Ubuntu did you join the Yahoo Ubuntu group yet? Since I have a computer here (yet) with Mint using XFCE with LXDE core added, I'll see if I see the same problem. I just looked in the menus of Zorin LXDE and didn't see what I mentioned, perhaps it depends on what file manager is installed. You do know you can install others using Synaptic?

Google string I used: Linux file manager with SU mode available for NTFS USB files to be mounted read/write:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/tips-and-tricks-mint-after-installation-mint-13-cinnamon-edition.htm

Just in case:
http://puppylinux.com/faq.htm

http://osdir.com/ml/linuxusersgroup/2011-02/msg00022.html
**I include the above because Roy is on a few groups, it's good to know where the pros can be found if Yahoo bellies up.

Joan in Reno


From: "waltmatheus@..." <waltmatheus@...>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:56 AM
Subject: RE: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] USBs Read only

 
Joan, thanks for your reply. I believe you know that I've been struggling with Linux for quite some time.

"SU mode to your file manager", when you refer to SU mode I'm guessing you mean access to the root. If so, at this time I don't have root access. Don't know how to get it, not sure I even want to at his time because of my lack of understanding of the language of Linux.

"probably a permissions problem", yes, it is definitely a permission problem. I am unable to change the permissions from read only to read/write.

"Check into their Forum", I have not done so yet in this regard, but, have posted two other inquiries in a mint community forum that have not gotten any responses. I have searched on Google and found that others have the same permissions issue but I did not find a simple solution.

I will try booting to the Mint DVD then accessing a USB drive but would much rather be able to do so from the installed OS.    

My primary reason for wanting to be able to write to a USB device is to be able to transfers any needed/wanted files to an XP machine that will go offline when XP reaches end-of-life in April.


---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <linux_newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Is there a SU mode to your file manager? It's probably a permissions problem, or you may have found a bug in Mint. Check into their Forum. I can always boot up a Puppy Linux Live CD and mount the drives, copy files to where I want and unmount when I'm done.

Joan in Reno


From: "waltmatheus@..." <waltmatheus@...>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 1:20 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] USBs Read only

 
New to Linux - Mint 15 Cinnamon

I cannot change any USB flash drives or an external HDD from read only to read-write.




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment