Sunday, December 21, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: [linux] Happy Holidays!

 

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 05:18:15PM -0500, J dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com [linux] wrote:
> But I wanted to take a moment and wish all of you a (Happy, Merry,
> Wonderful, Joyful) $HOLIDAY.

I'll have a Merry Christmas, personally I'm atheist but its a couple of
days off work so I'll enjoy it (even though I'm on-call).

> Most importantly, enjoy as much time as you can with Family and
> Friends while you have the chance.
>
> Two days ago one of my friends and co-workers died after Leukemia
> finally won the long battle. I hadn't seen him in almost a year and
> had been too busy with work to really actively try to catch up with
> him, and now I'll never have the chance.

I am very sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up over it though.
Similar situation here, but not Leukemia. With cancer treatments, the
immune system is often really, really low as the treatments often target
cells that reproduce quickly, which unfortunately reduces the number of
white cells. The patient is often very vulnerable to infection. So,
phone/email was probably the preferred means of contact. I'm trying to
avoid going into personal experiences here, but I didn't want anyone
visiting the house. Heck, I still double-wash my hands.

> So please, enjoy time spent with your loved ones. That's the most
> important thing of all.

After reading your post and thinking quite deeply as the situation is
somewhat similar here. Don't dwell on what time you have spent with
people, dwelling itself is unproductive, Iron Maiden wrote a song about
that[1].

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYBICc0nFs

More importantly though, Johnny Cash[2] and others[3,4,5] covered Cats
in The Cradle. With good reason too I suspect for it tells the story of
a father who neglects his Son (and possibly his father too), only when
too late did he realise that he should have been there for his
Son/family. My words defy me, listen to the music :).

2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1BVMmcr2A
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B32yjbCSVpU
4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3NhWJcH1I
5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAgiv1zAfY

You gotta work hard, you have to keep money in the bank, especially in
computing, the industry is continually changing and its tough to keep
up. So when shit like systemd comes along, excuse me for not taking an
interest when init/upstart was just fine :).

When I thought that I didn't have any real life I got a camera. It was a
great way to force myself away from the computer. It worked, I now have
an interest in nature and a small flock of chickens. Not telling you
what to do, but why not make it an ambition to put a photo on flickr
everyday from somewhere different? It's a great way to spend time with
people and not the computer.

It doesn't matter too much what you make of life, if you have a family,
be there for them, if you don't have strings attached then enjoy the
freedom while you still have it.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

__._,_.___

Posted by: ed <ed@s5h.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment