Saturday, December 27, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux

 

I am no expert but have been playing with Linux for 9 months.  Programming knowledge is not required.  Look at this link and find the FAQ.



I currently am using Lubuntu but intend to reinstall Ubuntu.  There are several different distributions- Debian, Fedora, Puppy, etc.  I have tried several but I want to go back to Ubuntu; I bought a big fat book on it.

You will need to go out and find the distribution you want and download the ISO file and an ISO file installer.  An ISO file is sort of like a zip file and it needs to be extracted.  Extract it to a DVD or to a thumb drive.

If you choose correctly, you can get a "live distribution" which you can run from the DVD or thumb drive just to try it out.  Then if you like it, you can do an actual install.  It is possible do do a dual boot situation-- Window or Linux on the same computer.

One other detail, you will need to adjust the computer BIOS to start up from the thumb drive or the DVD drive.

I am sure others and add to this or correct my thinking.

Dan


 



__._,_.___

Posted by: aa0qc@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (104)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment