Sunday, December 27, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Remove Dual Boot

 

> On 12/27/2015 03:33 AM, maylit2me@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > I have a hard drive with partitions with XP (C:) and Ubuntu.
> > I rarely use the Ubuntu so I plan to remove it.
> > I'm not sure of the procedure to do so.
> >
> > Can I just use a partition manager to change the Linux partition to NTFS?
> > If so, will the GRUB boot manager be deleted as a result so that I end
> > up with a direct boot to XP?
> >
> > If that is not the correct way, what is the proper procedure?
> >

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 11:52:24AM -0600, Michael Sullivan msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> IIRC, you can just go into a terminal in XP and issue "fdisk/mbr" and it
> will wipe out grub, rewriting it to boot to XP exclusively. I'm not
> sure how you're going to reclaim the space that Linux is using. Maybe
> you could delete the Linux partition and then use your partition manager
> to extend Windows to occupy that space. I don't know much about
> partition managers myself. Just my two cents...

Grub would be in the mbr I think, so changing the Linux partition won't fix
it. I think Michael gave you the right answer as far as boot, use
fdisk/mbr. As for the partition, I don't know if Windows XP sees it or
not. If it sees unidentified file system, I assume that there's some disk
managment software for Windows to reclaim it. I remember in the old days,
Windows couldn't read Linux partitions and Microsoft said that you should
boot with a Linux disk and use Linux fdisk to change the partition type,
but I don't know if that's the still the case, (or was the case with XP,
which is pretty old itself.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment