Monday, December 28, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Remove Dual Boot

 

Hi


I've used EasyBDC on Window7 dual with Ubuntu to remove Ubuntu which worked well. It also works with Vista and XP.

There's a Video on Youtube by Britec09 called "How to Safely Uninstall Linux with Windows Dual Boot" which takes you
through the process.

Hope this helps.

Aldy.
On 27 Dec 2015, at 22:42, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On 12/27/2015 03:33 AM, maylit2me@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > I have a hard drive with partitions with XP (C:) and Ubuntu.
> > I rarely use the Ubuntu so I plan to remove it.
> > I'm not sure of the procedure to do so.
> >
> > Can I just use a partition manager to change the Linux partition to NTFS?
> > If so, will the GRUB boot manager be deleted as a result so that I end
> > up with a direct boot to XP?
> >
> > If that is not the correct way, what is the proper procedure?
> >

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 11:52:24AM -0600, Michael Sullivan msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> IIRC, you can just go into a terminal in XP and issue "fdisk/mbr" and it 
> will wipe out grub, rewriting it to boot to XP exclusively. I'm not 
> sure how you're going to reclaim the space that Linux is using. Maybe 
> you could delete the Linux partition and then use your partition manager 
> to extend Windows to occupy that space. I don't know much about 
> partition managers myself. Just my two cents...

Grub would be in the mbr I think, so changing the Linux partition won't fix
it. I think Michael gave you the right answer as far as boot, use
fdisk/mbr. As for the partition, I don't know if Windows XP sees it or
not. If it sees unidentified file system, I assume that there's some disk
managment software for Windows to reclaim it. I remember in the old days,
Windows couldn't read Linux partitions and Microsoft said that you should
boot with a Linux disk and use Linux fdisk to change the partition type,
but I don't know if that's the still the case, (or was the case with XP,
which is pretty old itself.)

-- 
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6


__._,_.___

Posted by: Anthony Alderson <bruntley.aldy@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment