Sunday, January 3, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] External HD

 

Hi Dan,


I'm a novice with Linux but I would try installing Virtual Box and then install Windows in that.
Then plug in the hard drive and see if you can access the locked drive with that.

If that don't work can you get access to a Windows computer to move your locked data?

Hope this helps,
Aldy.
On 2 Jan 2016, at 23:17, Dan aa0qc@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

No comments on this so far.  Am I out in "left field"?


Dan

On Dec 28, 2015, at 9:21 PM, Dan Cook aa0qc@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I have a "WD My Book Essential" external USB hard drive.  I have been using it on my Windows computers; it has back data on it which I want to keep on it.  The drive is partitioned into a "F:" & "G:" drive  on the W7 computer, where the "G:" drive is password protected.  There is a Windows "unlock" app.  

I hooked the WD external drive to my Lubuntu computer via USB.  All I can see is the partition that is not password protected; it contains the Windows WD apps.  The other partition does not even appear to be present.  

How would I access the the password protected partition?  Is there a "password unlock" app available?  I find nothing looking at the WD website- no drivers or support.

Should I purchase another USB external HD for Linux only and, if so, what?  My intention is to backup the Linux computer to the external drive.

I am a new user of Linux.
 
Dan Cook, aa0qc 




__._,_.___

Posted by: Anthony Alderson <bruntley.aldy@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment