Friday, November 22, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Kubuntu root permissions

 

I installed Kubuntu 12.0.4 then I installed Thunderbird.

The Thunderbird folder is in the Root folder (/etc/Thunderbird). I want to add/import to that folder a xxxxx.default folder and .ini file from a TB setup in a different operating system but I don't have permission to write to Kubuntu Root so I can't paste any files/folders there.

I'm the only user and would like to add write permission to Root but I don't know how to do that.

I found some instructions online: If you're using Kubuntu (KDE), press Alt-F2 and type: kdesu konqueror   This allows you to generally operate as a regular user but have a temporary window within your user account to operate as Root. Run the kdesu konqueror command and a file browser window will pop up (with Root/administrator privileges just in that window). Browse to the folder you want, click to open it, edit it, close it, and close the browser window, and it would be done.

I used the command but no file browser window pops up. Wondering if Konquerer is not the proper command term.

How can I put the TB xxxxx.default folder and .ini file in the TB folder?
How do I make it so I can write to Root when necessary?

I'm stuggling with learning Linux so I would appreciate simple instructions.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment