Friday, November 22, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Kubuntu root permissions

 

On 22/11/13 14:46, waltmatheus@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>
> I installed Kubuntu 12.0.4 then I installed Thunderbird.
>
> The Thunderbird folder is in the Root folder (/etc/Thunderbird). I
> want to add/import to that folder a xxxxx.default folder and .ini
> file from a TB setup in a different operating system but I don't
> have permission to write to Kubuntu Root so I can't paste any
> files/folders there.
>
> I'm the only user and would like to add write permission to Root
> but I don't know how to do that.
>
> I found some instructions online: If you're using Kubuntu (KDE),
> press Alt-F2 and type: kdesu konqueror This allows you to
> generally operate as a regular user but have a temporary window
> within your user account to operate as Root. Run the kdesu
> konqueror command and a file browser window will pop up (with
> Root/administrator privileges just in that window). Browse to the
> folder you want, click to open it, edit it, close it, and close
> the browser window, and it would be done.
>
> I used the command but no file browser window pops up. Wondering if
> Konquerer is not the proper command term.
>
> How can I put the TB xxxxx.default folder and .ini file in the TB
> folder? How do I make it so I can write to Root when necessary?
>
> I'm stuggling with learning Linux so I would appreciate simple
> instructions.
>
>

The folder in /etc is not the right place to paste your file it should
contain a 'syspref.js' file. In your home dir '/home/username' there
will be a folder called '.thunderbird' note it starts with a period,
this means it is a hidden folder. inside you should find the
xxxxx.default folder.
instructions (assuming you have the files you want on a usb stick or
some such)
cd .thunderbird
cd *.default
rm -rf *
cd ..
rmdir *.default
cp /mnt/media/myoldxxx.default ~/.thunderbird

restart thunderbird

any probems the best bet is to open the profiles.ini file in a text
editor the last line should use the same name as your 'default' folder

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=xxxxxxxxx.default

if not just edit it to match.

Trev.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment