Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] update 13.04 to 13.10 Xubuntu

 



Good afternoon
Mi Nov 20 15:10:22 2013
Thank You for email and help.

> > > So, if you have package foo installed, and an update to package foo
> > > now adds package bar as a dependency:
> > >
> > > apt-get upgrade will ONLY upgrade package foo
> > > apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade package foo AND download and
install
> > > package bar.
> > >
> > > They're meant for different situations, but I never use upgrade,
only
> > > dist-upgrade.
> > *
> > So dist-upgrade is better.
>
> Depends on your package management strategy... for most users, yes,
> dist-upgrade is fine. In cases where you have tight
> control/limitations on what packages are installed (e.g. enterprise
> settings like datacenters and corporate desktops) you may NOT want to
> pull down new packages. For your use, dist-upgrade is probably
> preferable.
*
How about me?
I am using
Browsers
Editors
Gimp Blender Cubase Inkscape
Claws
TB
File manager
mc
?

> > > Yeah, the original question was "How can I start update 13.04 to
13.10"
> > >
> > > neither apt-get upgrade nor apt-get dist-upgrade will do an upgrade
> > > from one version to the next. the do-release-upgrade command is for
> > > updating the entire distro from one version to the next (e.g
Raring to
> > > Saucy).
> > *
> > Sorry.
> > I do not understand.
> > I want to go from 13.04 to 13.10
> > Do I have to do:
> >
> > do-release-upgrade
>
> That's exactly what I just said.
*
OK
Thank You.

To upgrade from one relese to the
> next (e.g. Raring (13.04) to Saucy (13.10) you would use
> do-release-upgrade.
>
*
Thank You.

There is with Saucy every day an pop up:

Do You want an update.
I click this away
and do update by terminal.
Can I stop the Xubuntu popup every day?

> That command will check with the ubuntu archives to see if a new
> version of the OS is available and will then prompt you to do the full
> upgrade.
*
OK

>
> > >
> > > Also, if you want a gui to upgrade, I believe "update-manager
> > > --check-dist-upgrades" will launch update manager and prompt you to
> > > upgrade from one version to the next.
*
I prefer the terminal.
Thank You.

That said, I've never tried it
> > > because I use CLI only for package management. The only time I use a
> > > GUI is when accessing the software center to browse for new
things to
> > > try.

Regards Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment