Saturday, January 4, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Dell GX240 CPU Upgrade??

 


Greetings: Anyone familiar with upgrading a Dell GX240 Desktop to a faster
CPU than the existing 478 socket Pentium 4, 1.6gHz, Brookdale 1gB RAM??

I checked the Web carefully and the majority of blogs say that a 2.8gHz,
400FSB 512cache will work but the one I purchased didn't and the vendor wont
answer my eMail queries.. I would like to try another CPU, but what should I
get?? I have flashed the BIOS to the latest A05 already..

Most of the blogs correctly advise to forget that obsolete machine and get a
newer one; and I do have others that stream video OK; but I need a horizontal
Desktop box instead of a tower for physical reasons..

The Dell is presently streaming good on YouTube with CertOS6.3 and the QtWeb
browser but marginal at 360p with a few artifacts and much out of audio
sync, using a Dell AGP DVI video card and DVI monitor..

I also wonder if upping the CPU speed would be better, or are there other
more important parameters??

TIA and all have a productive 2014..

--
Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 13.1 kernel 2.6.33.4-smp-JFS

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment