Sunday, August 4, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Not a Dnewby, just want to be able to use Lionux

 

Raspberry Pi is a great learning device. Lots of people trying new
things, lots of helpful docs, lots of people anxious to help, costs
little, takes little room. SD cards (2-8GB) are quick & easy to swap out
and change the whole persona. Big enough to run on the net, small enough
to make you try to be efficient. Most likely there will be lots of other
people with your same configuration.

On 8/4/2013 4:42 PM, Jim Purcell wrote:
>
> Joan,
>
> > Until you decide to install to a hard drive either internal or
> external, you can't really enjoy the added flexibility of Linux as I
> see it.
> It's not abouit enjoying or not, it's about figuring out whather I'm
> willing to bother yet again with Linux. The list of things that I don't
> know how to do in Linux and sort of know how to do in Windows, is very
> long. And I get frustrated trying to do those things. I don't think that
> INSTALLIN will help with that, although I have a machine that I know
> that I can do it on, my older Dell XPS 8300. It has Win 7 on it and I
> may install Win 8 and then get the free upgrade to Win 8.1.
> I figuered that the time to Linux again would be now or just to give up
> on it for ever. I have lots of Linux books, but all are from earlier
> versions. I'd almos be willing to install one of the earlier versioin, I
> mean really early just so that I'd have an appropriate book.
>
> Anyway, TNX for the reply Joan.
>
> Jim
> > I don't care for Ubuntu proper, since my old 10.04, but I use Zorin,
> Mint XFCE/LXDE, Bodhi, and some others. Firefox finally has the Theme
> Font & Size Changer add-on extension, which helps on my netbook and
> widescreen monitor. I also use No Squint in Firefox to have separate
> controls for picture and font size. There are various ways to set a
> system font and size, I'm more into hunting these things out. Plus, if
> the default GUI doesn't work I add another and switch to the one I use
> more frequently.
>
>

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
To steal from many is research.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment