Monday, August 5, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Not a Dnewby, just want to be able to use Lionux

 

The install process is traditionally downloading the system which file
is called an ISO which needs be burned to a DVD (some maybe a CD) with a
little utility software OR you install it on a USB Drive (not a USB
Media stick, same price $12-20) with a different little software utility.

For DVD I use.....
InfraRecorder
infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/
(Works like a charm every time)

For USB Drive I use....
UNetbootin
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

AND
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Alternatively, some or many distros have everything ready to install
from a CD/DVD one or set for a couple of dollars they will send you.

Ubuntu was about the first that created the install Linux right over the
internet on a Windows PC to create the dual boot - both Windows and
Linux on the PC. It installed as a software and ran, but just a tad
slower than a normal install of the Linux system.

Said all that to say I hope you actually were using the correct demo and
install procedures before giving up without kn owing that!

I saw the Zorin OS 6 (LTS) http://zorin-os.com/free.html free version
which the LTS means Long Term Support which is generally the best to
choose. These are kind of like Windows - a new version comes out every
few years and generally at some point the older than is no longer
supported. Otherwise there may be newer versions time to time to upgrade
to if wanted.

Now on their website they give the following recommendations to follow.....

"Download Information
ATTENTION: To avoid any complications, we recommend you to download
Zorin OS using Firefox as other browsers may corrupt the file and may
cause errors. It is strongly advisable to do a full install of Zorin OS
to enjoy its full potential as some features of Zorin OS may be less
stable in Live mode.

The download files below are packaged in the .iso file format. To burn
the .iso files to a blank DVD you need a burning program. You can use
ImgBurn which is a free program. If you can't use DVDs, you can burn the
.iso to a USB stick by using UNetBootin.
For the full installation instructions click here.

For a package list and other details click here."

So indeed it is an ISO File needed to be burned or installed on a DVD or
USB Drive. Generally all computers are the 32bit whereas a 64bit
computer has more memory capability etc.

I believe the premium versions are donate and they will be shipped to
address.

Were you having trouble with how to use the ISO (computer system image)?

gerald philly pa usa
http://linuxducks.webs.com/

On 08/04/2013 05:34 PM, Jim Purcell wrote:
> Joan,
>
> Googled for Zorin and thought that I was installing it, althouigh the
> pricess was not clear. I ended up with a file named only setup and it
> installed a bunch of trash. Tis has been my experience for most of my
> downloads lately. I'n getting ready to juyst not download anything. I
> spend more time ininstalling the crap and by them I uninstall what I
> tried to download just because I'm so ticked off.
>
> Jim
>
>> Until you decide to install to a hard drive either internal or external, you can't really enjoy the added flexibility of Linux as I see it. I don't care for Ubuntu proper, since my old 10.04, but I use Zorin, Mint XFCE/LXDE, Bodhi, and some others. Firefox finally has the Theme Font & Size Changer add-on extension, which helps on my netbook and widescreen monitor. I also use No Squint in Firefox to have separate controls for picture and font size. There are various ways to set a system font and size, I'm more into hunting these things out. Plus, if the default GUI doesn't work I add another and switch to the one I use more frequently.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment