Tuesday, September 6, 2016

[LINUX_Newbies] So tired of MS

 

Hi I'm Bev now living in South Dakota. Thanks for letting me join this group.  There are several on Yahoo Groups.  I chose you because of the excellent FAQ's that are publicly available. 


Prior to my retirement I was a Windows administrator and trained up through Windows Server 2008. Long ago and with little training, I was the administrator for a SCO Unix system (don't remember what version).  I remember looking at the blank prompt line and typing what somebody told me over the phone. So not a whole lot of Unix knowledge. Currently using Windows 7 and 8 on PC's and Laptops; and various Android releases on various portable equipment.  (Had two Win10 tablets that died). Still I'd drop MS in a heartbeat if my applications were ported to another OS. They are craft applications for Embroidery, Knitting and Sewing; and yes what I really want to be is not an administrator but a happy end user. 


I'm so tired of dealing with MS problems that I'd like to take my elder Win7 system and install Linux. Pretty sure that's a matter of making sure the distro I choose supports the hardware in the existing system. But will it be possible to move my Win-based applications and have them work or am I wasting my time?  Would any particular distro be most suitable for my needs? 


TIA

sdBev


__._,_.___

Posted by: merrowb@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment