Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] So tired of MS

 

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:17:29AM -0700, merrowb@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Hi I'm Bev now living in South Dakota. Thanks for letting me join this group. There are several on Yahoo Groups. I chose you because of the excellent FAQ's that are publicly available.
>

Howdy Bev. I'm the one who wrote a lot of that FAQ, and it's severely
outdated. :) (These yahoo groups have become much quieter in later years.)

>
> I'm so tired of dealing with MS problems that I'd like to take my elder Win7 system and install Linux. Pretty sure that's a matter of making sure the distro I choose supports the hardware in the existing system. But will it be possible to move my Win-based applications and have them work or am I wasting my time? Would any particular distro be most suitable for my needs?
>
>
LinuxMint is often considered to be one of the most userfriendly
distributions around. When you download it, you can burn it to DVD or USB,
and try it without installing, to see if it works well with your hardware.

This list is fairly quiet, but perhaps your questions will rejuvenate it.
:)

As for applications, it really depends what you use, and for what. For
example, Libreoffice is a decent replacement for MS Office if all you do
are some simple documents and spreadsheets. There are some more complex
uses of Office that it won't be able to do.

There are various lists around of Windows applications and possible Linux
replacements, but much will depend upon your specific needs. There is also
wine (which stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator) which can run some Windows
programs. I haven't used it in years, so I don't know how well it's working
these days. Lastly, you can run most of your things on Linux and use
VirtualBox or something similar, to run Windows, when you need it, in a
virtual machine.

So, the answer to question is, It depends. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment