Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] So tired of MS

 

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 05:42:13PM +0000, Bev Merrow merrowb@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Thanks guys.    I'm not opposed to the command line. Used it frequently administrating Windows.  Despite MS saying DOS was dead eons ago, the command line remained one of the fastest and sometimes only way to fix things. I still use the command line as an end user and even run a few batch files. Also still remember a few network commands  -- useful when my ISP says my line is working fine but I know it isn't. I don't mind the command line, when I know what I'm doing.   I did take an Unix online course about 15 years ago.  I'm hoping LInux is similar enough to make some of that education resurface from the depths of my memory.
> Mostly this box will hosting my applications.  I need the big screen attached to my PC for plotting embroidery points and knitting stitches etc.   Email and surfing I'm happy to do in my Lazy Boy on my Android tablet (which politely informs me some of my applications want to update and never hijacks my tablet to force feed OS updates). 
> Really like the idea of a bootable stick, but will I be able to test my programs?  
> I downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions of Mint.  I know that one of my applications is definitely based on the 64 bit environment and another for  32.  Both play well on Win 8 and did on Win10 before the Surface Pro tablet died. Would you recommend the 32 or 64 bit Mint version?  I downloaded 'Sarah'  but the Fine Manual I found is for "Cinnamon".  Did I get the right manual?  If not, please tell me where it is.  I'm looking at Cnet and Linuxmint.com.  I no longer download from just anywhere. I've been part of a robot net and had my computer held hostage. Don't want to do that ever again 
> I'm lots of talk right now.  I will be reading until about Monday because I have a trip planned this week.  I'd rather start and work my way through installing Linux rather than doing some now; putting it aside to do the rest 4 or 5 days from now. Besides manuals are heavy reading.  I'm out of practice with heavy reading. 
> sdBev
>

The command line is quite similar to Unix, the whole thing of Linux in the
beginning was to make a Unix like system. There are some differences,
(even between the various flavors of Unix), but they should be minor for
what you're doing.

32 and 64 bit distinctions aren't that important right now, but 32 bit is
being phased out, so I'd stick with 64.

Sara is the name of the release. Cinnamon is one of their two primary
desktops, the other being Mate, pronounced for whatever reason, as Ma-TAY.
You can try both later, for now you can stick with whichever you
downloaded. By desktop, I mean that there are a variety of Desktop
Environments, with Cinnamon and Mate being two of the popular ones and
probably the most common ones that Mint has.

As for installing programs when running from a USB, you should be able to
do that. It won't be persistent--that is, it won't survive a reboot, though
you can make it persistent, but let's worry about that later. For now,
yes, you can install software even though you're running what's called a
live version off the USB.

A good place to download, if you're in the US, is mirrors.kernel.org. I
haven't downloaded anything from Cnet in years, so have no idea of their
speed or trustworthiness.

> PS in time will be looking at the VM and admin links provided.  

Take your time, some of us will be here. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment