Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] So tired of MS

 

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM, merrowb@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Still I'd drop MS in a heartbeat if my applications were ported to another OS. They are craft applications for Embroidery, Knitting and Sewing; and yes what I really want to be is not an administrator but a happy end user.

Aside from the "there are similar programs out there" answers, the best answer to this so far was Tom's link to How-To Geek and Scott's mention of Wine (and VMs).  I doubt you'll find many (or any) programs out there for embroidery, knitting and sewing that are Linux based.  I could be surprised, but in my own experience, you're more likely to find Linux versions or Linux replacements for more technical programs like CAD, or design, photo editing, music editing, video editing, programming, engineering and so forth.  In fact, in the 20+ years I've been invovled with Linux, you're the first person I've ever heard ask about that.

So your best bet to get your various craft programs going would be WINE.  WINE used to be a nightmare to install and configure, and it's STILL not terribly user friendly in some respects, but it's better than it used to be, or was at least last time I had need for it but even that's been a few years back now.

The second alternative would be to, as other's mentioned, run a VM and use that for your craft programs and use Linux for everything else like day to day web-surfing, email, video watching, etc.  

The easiest way to run VMs is probably going to either be VMWare Player or VirtualBox.  There are many, MANY others as well, that are varying degrees of difficulty.  

As others also mentioned, you can take Mint (or most modern distributions) and make bootable USB sticks and try them without messing up your existing installation.  In addition to Mint, I recommend Ubuntu to people (Mint is based on Ubuntu).  Full disclosure, I work for the company that makes Ubuntu, so while I say take that with a grain of salt, I also use Ubuntu on everything (and have since well before I started working at Canonical), including my Macbook Air (which runs both Ubuntu and OSX).

One VERY quick and dirty google search brought me this:


which shows three (more than I would have imagined) programs for embroidery.

A search for "Linux Knitting Software" turned up a couple possibilities, but they looked to me like ways to control knitting machines, not pattern makers.. but you may have luck searching for yourself.

Good luck!

Jeff

__._,_.___

Posted by: J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment