Friday, September 27, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Is low level format requried? HOw is it performed?

 

Thanks to all who replied.  I picked up some good information.   

I feel somewhat humbled when I realized that I could have simply loaded the .ISO disk and the started the install.  If the install had bombed, I would have realized that a low level  format was required.    

I just started the Ubuntu install  and  it is (at the moment) proceeding smoothly.   

However, I did learn a couple of things from the replies and I am grateful - and have taken careful note.

Thanks to all

Justin 


From: "justin_e_bell2000@yahoo.com" <justin_e_bell2000@yahoo.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:54 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Is low level format requried? HOw is it performed?

 
I  am planning to install Ubuntu on a surplus Dell (dual-core) machine, that I bought from a college surplus sale - with no hard drive.  

I was able to pick up a (wiped clean)  SATA hard drive rather cheaply. 

Since  the hard drive is wiped clean, do I have to perform some sort of low-level format before I can install the Ubuntu operating system from the ususal iso disk?

If some sort of low level format is needed,  What program is required to perform the low level format?
Is there a special procedure to follow?

 I spent some time looking on Google and could not get a clear answere.

Thanks


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment