Friday, September 27, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Is low level format requried? HOw is it performed?

 

If you were planning to use Wi-Fi, please do so after the initial install over a LAN wired connection, since Ubuntu doesn't install the Dell drivers for it automatically and may add them after the updates are downloaded. I have better luck with Mint, Zorin, and some others like Puppy sometimes.

After a discussion on another List lately, I thought I might mention this, plus it might be handy to have an USB style Wi-Fi adapter just in case, sometimes even a LAN USB adapter comes in handy, since some colleges have surplus computers that need some work like sound cards, NIC or IDE controllers that go bad. Count yourself lucky if you have no problems, but then I pick the $5.00 towers, so sometimes I get what I pay for ;-)
Joan in Reno



From: "justin_e_bell2000@yahoo.com" <justin_e_bell2000@yahoo.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:54 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Is low level format requried? HOw is it performed?

 
I  am planning to install Ubuntu on a surplus Dell (dual-core) machine, that I bought from a college surplus sale - with no hard drive.  

I was able to pick up a (wiped clean)  SATA hard drive rather cheaply. 

Since  the hard drive is wiped clean, do I have to perform some sort of low-level format before I can install the Ubuntu operating system from the ususal iso disk?

If some sort of low level format is needed,  What program is required to perform the low level format?
Is there a special procedure to follow?

 I spent some time looking on Google and could not get a clear answere.

Thanks


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment