Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint (Mate) Version 17

 


On 6/22/2014 10:11 PM, 'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
 

Hi All,

The process of moving from Version 16 to
Version 17 seems to have gone OK, up to a
point.

I downloaded the .iso file and got an MD5
checksum match and appear to now have
the USB live file working.

I intended to set up my system with 2GB
for a swap partition, 30GB root partition,
and the rest as my home partition. I did
find the do-something-else matter but
that only showed the existing setup in
Version 16 with apparently nothing to
change to call for my options.


When you choose "do something else" that means you are going to do everything yourself.  In this case, you would either choose the Mint 16 partition for your new install root "/" directory or you would delete the Mint 16 directory and then use the newly created space.  If you want to exactly set things up, which is how I do things, you would first delete all partitions on the hard drive, then build the ones you want to create one by one.  There is even a quicker way to do it from the Mint 17 live DVD.  You can write a brand new partition table to your hard drive using Gparted.  I always use GPT for my Linux systems, but anyway I am chasing rabbits now.

Bottom line is, with "do something else" you take over.  I really encourage you to do so even if you have already installed Mint 17.  The more times you do an install and the more you use partitioning software, the less scary it becomes and you begin to really own the computer.

<snip>

Loyal

__._,_.___

Posted by: Loyal Barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment