Friday, June 27, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint (Mate) Version 17

 

If options are grayed out it could mean that Mint auto-mounts your hard drive. Maybe you should download the Gparted LiveCd: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gparted

Joan in Reno


From: "'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint (Mate) Version 17

 
Hi Loyal,

You wrote:

> When you choose "do something else" that means you are going to do
> everything yourself.

Well, if I can get it to work for me, I have no problem
with that. I don't have much sitting on Mint 16 and
it's backed up anyhow.

> In this case, you would either choose the Mint 16 partition for your
> new install root "/" directory or ...

I don't really follow--if I keep the Mint 16 partition
for the root directory, I don't think that's part of
doing it all myself.

> ... or you would delete the Mint 16 directory and then use the newly
> created space.

That sounds more like what you said for the "do
something else" bit.

> If you want to exactly set things up, which is how I do things, you
> would first delete all partitions on the hard drive, then build the
> ones you want to create one by one.

Hmm--that doesn't seem to work for me; the options
all seem to be grayed out at this point.

> There is even a quicker way to do it from the Mint 17 live DVD. You
> can write a brand new partition table to your hard drive using
> Gparted. I always use GPT for my Linux systems,

Yes GParted is one of the things I've seen mentioned as
supposedly being part of Mint but I'm not up on where
to find it in the system. None of the GUI items seem to
be it and I did try the Terminal but there doesn't seem
to be anything there even though I'm a little primative
on the command line bit.

Any thoughts where I'm going astray?

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com



__._,_.___

Posted by: Joan Leach <jleach728@sbcglobal.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment