Thursday, May 12, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Frugal Install

 

I have GRUB1 on a partition of my hard drive, from which I boot various Linux distributions. My BIOS no longer can be set to boot from the cd drive (I screwed it up), so I need to set up new distros as frugal installations.
That's easy to do with Puppy, TinyCore, and a few others, but when I try with, say, a Ubuntu or Debian derivative, the boot fails and I get the message, "try init=bootarg." In the kernel line I have tried "fromiso=/[location]," and other shifts, but they generally don't work.
Any suggestions?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment