Saturday, May 14, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Which distro would you choose ?

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "johnmark1966" <johnmarkrobbins@...> wrote:
>
> What Linux distro would you choose from: Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, Knoppix or SLAX ? I am a newbie and I am trying to find which distro is the best. I am studying electronics and computers in college. Thanks to each and all :)
>

I would choose Linux Mint instead of any of the above. Please look
at distrowatch.com before deciding on one. From your list, I would
choose Ubuntu though if you go with the latest version it will be the
least like any OS you have ever seen and in fact the least like any
other Linux. FreeBSD is good, but I would not recommend it for a
true Newbie. Same with Debian. SLAX has become dormant so I would
not recommend it either. Knoppix exists more as a live CD than a
hard drive install.

I would suggest looking at Linux Mint, Kubuntu (which uses the KDE
desktop on top of Ubuntu), and maybe Mepis. For me, the beauty of
using Mint has been that it just works and I like the simple but
elegant user interface.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment