Friday, May 13, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Frugal Install

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "tshandy33" <conrad.geller@...> wrote:
>
> I have GRUB1 on a partition of my hard drive, from which I boot various Linux distributions. My BIOS no longer can be set to boot from the cd drive (I screwed it up), so I need to set up new distros as frugal installations.
> That's easy to do with Puppy, TinyCore, and a few others, but when I try with, say, a Ubuntu or Debian derivative, the boot fails and I get the message, "try init=bootarg." In the kernel line I have tried "fromiso=/[location]," and other shifts, but they generally don't work.
> Any suggestions?
>

Lately I haven't even been burning CDs. I've been doing USB key installs. So I have to ask can you boot off your USB?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment