Saturday, May 14, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Which distro would you choose ?

 

First, do you want to learn from the command line/terminal mode, or do you want to use it as a desktop? True, you can do both, but if you want to learn how to do batch files or put up a server, the suggestions might be different. Do you have the latest and greatest computer, or are you making do with a P3, etc.? Do you plan to only try off a Linux Live CD or in a virtual environment?
Debian based Distros have the biggest source of programs. Yet, I had a teacher tell me if you learn on Slackware that you'd always be able to fix a computer. I didn't have the time for Slackware, although I installed it at home a few times. Same for Debian and others. I tinker with older computers so I admire Puppy and others that run in RAM. But Ubuntu and PcLinuxOS are popular for a reason, too.
www.distrowatch.com
Joan in Reno

--- On Sat, 5/14/11, johnmark1966 <johnmarkrobbins@gmail.com> wrote:

From: johnmark1966 <johnmarkrobbins@gmail.com>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Which distro would you choose ?
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 4:49 PM

 

What Linux distro would you choose from: Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, Knoppix or SLAX ? I am a newbie and I am trying to find which distro is the best. I am studying electronics and computers in college. Thanks to each and all :)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment