Sunday, May 8, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] openSUSE Wireless help

I am not a SuSE user, but the usual wireless steps are install a driver, set
up your network with SSID & security (WEP or WPA) and then select the
network from the network manager and it will connect. It may ask for a
password to do so. So I would check first that your wireless is detected and
working, then if it is try to set up the network with your SSID and security
of choice which should match the one setup with your router.

To check on the network in Ubuntu I type lshw in a terminal, but that needs
to be installed. It comes with Ubuntu and SuSE is very different. Then I
look for the section called *-network. It should list the driver and
capabilities. If it says UNCLAIMED then you need a driver.

When asking for help it is good if you tell us about the hardware in
question, in this case, your wireless maker. Someone likely has experience
with it and can help you better.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 7 May 2011 22:31, Me <sgttutt2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Ok now I need a little help. I install the current version 11.4 on my
> computer. Everything seems to work ok except I can not get it setup to work
> with my wireless network. I can get to the area where it says
> wire,wireless,vpn etc but the tab for the wireless is not active. So any
> help is welcome. Oh I am using KDE as I want to try it instead of Gnome.
>
> Thanks
> Kurt
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment