Friday, August 8, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Newbie Intro!

 

You won't find any benefit to using Mint over Ubuntu for this problem. Basically Mint and Ubuntu of the same versions use the same kernel and graphics drivers. The problem with older cards is that support runs out after awhile. Both Mint and Ubuntu are six month releases and they push the envelope as much as any distro. A better bet might be to try Debian which is behind the times by a couple of years and it has large repositories.

Roy

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android



From: Joan Leach jleach728@sbcglobal.net [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>;
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Newbie Intro!
Sent: Fri, Aug 8, 2014 9:18:28 PM

 

Ubuntu doesn't come with the right NV drivers...did you try hitting Escape or F1 key? I'd try Mint, LXLE, RoboLinux, or some others. Or try putting in an ati vga card, or pick up a spare hard disk to practice Linux installs, you can put the Win7 on USB to copy and stuff off it into Linux.
Joan in Reno


From: "nav66ratil@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2014 6:08 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Newbie Intro!

 
David here, Long time windows user, totally new to Linux.  I have an Compaq Desktop CQ5210F, 3 gb ram, 500 gb HD with 450 gb free, system has Windows 7 on it, 4 yrs old and runs perfect.  I have downloaded Ubuntu 64 bit 14.04 from home site about 10 times now.  I've used USB universal installer to make a boot usb drive and also have mounted the iso file on dvds.  I wanted to try before install, I don't want to mess up Windows 7 and wanted to try out the distro.  When i boot from either USB or Disk I get the option to try or install, I click try and after about 2 minutes all I get is a bluish screen with white dots on it, after about 15 minutes still the same.  I've tried Peppermint OS and Puppy linux and have problems with them but why Ubuntu??  My video card is nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430.
Any suggestions, maybe try an older version of ubuntu?  I also have a toshiba c55d-ak170c laptop at home, 6 months old, 4 gb ram & 500 HD with about 450gb free.  I don't use it for much.  I tried using a ubuntu disk to boot in it but when I go in bios and click boot from disk it still only boots from HD into Windows 8.1.  I've gone to the ubuntu site and left questions at the "ask" screen but with no help!! - Thanks for reading this, David



__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment