Thursday, August 14, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Some Linux Devs need help...

 

I did not multipost this because I don't follow the other groups.
I installed RoboLinux last week and except for a couple of install questions that confused me, it was up and running as advertised. The target machine is a Dell XPS 210 (duel core)with a new 1T hard drive.  I selected Firefox as the browser and was up watching Nixie Pixel Youtubes with out tinkering.  I frequently update/upgrade from the command line with what ever distro I am using, no problems ever.

I download and save a lot of tutorials on youtube so one of my first objectives was to find a downloader for that task.

http://www.tecmint.com/install-youtube-dl-command-line-video-download-tool/
Shows a script that I have tried without success:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

It responds that "E: Package 'youtube-dl' has no installation candidate"

If anyone would care to join in they are welcome. I warn you, I work slowly!
John W8CCW


On 8/14/2014 1:57 PM, Joan Leach jleach728@sbcglobal.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
 
It sure gets tiring to find a Linux Distro that works fine while running Live, install seems to go fine, but updating breaks printing. The last embarrassment occurred when a Windows user needed a print-out...not a good demo moment folks! Zorin 9 Core-64-bit was the offender this time. Previously, it was RoboLinux 64-bit, that was a freebie in February 2014.

Zorin tells people not to update and blames Ubuntu, maybe Ubuntu blames Apple, who took on the printing engine, I wonder if they blame HP, etc.? Please someone help make Linux even better than it is...
By the way, Mint can print from Live DVD, but not use my HP scanner...
Joan in Reno

--   John Ferrell W8CCW     Julian NC 27283   THINK

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Ferrell <jferrell13@triad.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Did you know?
Learn all about Files in Groups

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment