Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux and Windows 10 problems

 

It does not have to be Mint disk. Any rescue or Live disk or USB key will rewrite grub. Most computers will boot to CD without changing anything on BIOS. I have upgraded several computers to Windows 10 and grub was unaffected. It may depend on how you installed out upgraded. I don't know.

Google rewrite grub2 for the commands.

Roy

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android


From:"Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
Date:Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 8:06
Subject:Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux and Windows 10 problems

 

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:41:55AM +0000, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
>   A bit of history.  I had windows 8.1 and Mint 17.2 installed side by side...everything worked fine.  I got my upgrade to windows 10 and things work til this week.  I lost my grub boot.  That would not be so bad, but I also  lost the boot menu where you pick what drive you want to use.  So, I tried to run the Mint live disk and can't get it to run....can't get into the bios either.  This has me stumped.  I have to get access to the bios or I can't do anything.  F2 and f12 don't work either. Some help please.
> Jim wa9arb
>
There is probably some way to get into the BIOS. You might try doing that
and seeing if secure boot is enabled. Or, perhaps Windows 10 has some new
thing or changed the partitioning enough to break things.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/665445/upgraded-to-windows-10-on-dual-boot-and-cant-boot-to-ubuntu-partition

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment