Friday, September 18, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Media streaming distro

 

Thanks. I tried the solutions previously. 

I have re-tried with some success. I can get sound to work in GNOME applications, but not KDE/ Plasma 5 which somewhat satisfies me. I can use Rhythmbox for music for example, but not Amarok or Clementine. Chrome works now, as does VLC. 

The problem for users is that there are no global controls. You can change the settings in the Mixer, but then still get no sound until you open VLC or Chrome or another application and change its internal controls. This is not good for most people who might give up after not getting it to work globally. Also changing settings does not work across all desktops which is strange since they all use Pulse Audio. 

Anyway, thanks for encouraging me to stick with it.

Roy



On Sunday, September 13, 2015 10:57 AM, "maylit2me@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59341-No-sound-coming-through-HDMI-to-TV
http://askubuntu.com/questions/446024/sending-sound-only-through-hdmi-kubuntu
//


---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <scottro@...> wrote :

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:35:01AM +0000, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@... [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> I have replaced my aging desktop computer and am looking to use my old one as a media streaming device. I currently have Kubuntu 15.04 installed (64 bit). 

This can sometimes be easy and sometimes be a nuisance.

I have a brief section on HDMI and sound. I didn't test in KDE, but it
worked for me with a few different systems


http://srobb.net/dvds.html#HDMI




> The problem is that it does not produce sound when attached via HDMI cable in Kubuntu. I have sought solutions without resolving the issue.
> My TV has only HDMI and VGA hookups and the computer has only HDMI and DVI hookups. So I have re-installed Windows 7 which came with the computer and upgraded to Windows 10 without difficulty. HDMI works perfectly with Windows. Most of my media is stored on Linux so I would prefer to keep the Linux partition as my primary OS. However as a media streaming device it fails.
> The problem with keeping it as a Windows media streamer is Windows. It works but it re-boots and it can take minutes to get it up and running due to installing updates and configuring, etc. Enough said.
> I am looking to replace Kubuntu with another distro --- one that will give sound when attached via HDMI. I want minimum fuss. Easy installation. Access to both Linux and Windows partitions. Probably will stick with LTS or rolling release since I want low maintenance. I have some proprietary drivers that will not work with Debian and do not want to go through hassles with enabling them (my Ethernet card would not work last time I used Debian and I could not get the drivers without the card. Catch 22. I am distro neutral and have used most major distros of all persuasions.
> Thanks,Roy

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6


__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment