Saturday, September 19, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Who is familiar with Debian? Will it run OK on my laptop?

 

I forgot to suggest Debian alternatives. I would give strong consideration to installing Xubuntu which gives you the strength of Canonical and its large user base of help and community, but with XFCE as the desktop environment which should prove to be faster on an older computer. Stick with LTS if you want to not be upgrading every six months. Install 14.04 and upgrade to 16.04 in the spring. 

Rolling releases to consider: Manjaro Linux (based on Arch), siduction (based on Debian unstable), and PCLinuxOS (forked from Mandriva).

Alternatives: Puppy Linux, Fedora, openSuSE (can be rolling with Tumbleweed) and Arch (depending on your skill level). Choose a low overhead desktop like LXDE or XFCE for optimal performance.

Roy





On Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:19 PM, "relztrah@yahoo.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
My wife just got a new laptop for her birthday and I'll get her old Acer laptop with an ADM C-50 processor running at 1 GHz and 8 GB of RAM.

I have been using Puppy (Tahrpup) for a couple years on an very old IBM Thinkpad and really like Puppy, and it runs great on this jalopy. But I imagine that the Acer can handle a more robust distro.  I did one of those online distro chooser surveys, and Debian came out as the best choice for me since I want stability and don't do any tinkering under the hood. Will the latest release of Debian run on this Acer given its configuration?  I don't do any high-end operations like video editing or gaming. Mainly I just need it for documents, spreadsheets, email and surfing.

Thanks for any input.



__._,_.___

Posted by: Linux Canuck <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment