Wednesday, May 26, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Puppy Linux 5-- "Lucid Puppy"

 

As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
fine from CD or USB thumb drive.

I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
unetbootin to install it without problems).

It's been many years since I looked at Puppy--and I must say I was
somewhat blown away by the new version. Doing a few minor
configuration tweaks was quick and easy; it automatically recognized
and mounted all my partitions--including the NTFS partition--without
issue out of the box. It played Windows media files and Flash Youtube
video as well as .avi video files, quickly and correctly displayed
.pdf files, read and extracted many different compressed formats--in
short, it easily handled just about everything I could throw at it
with no fuss or bother. Since it runs in memory, too, it is extremely
fast.

I can see where it an become fairly addictive--and it should be a
Godsend to use on older equipment with limited resources. Besides
Puppy's own repositories, it now fully supports the standard Ubuntu
ones as well.

If you haven't looked at it lately, you might try it out as I am doing
and see what you think. I already know several old machines I'm going
to recommend it for, in fact.

David

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment