Wednesday, May 26, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Puppy Linux 5-- "Lucid Puppy"

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:
>
> As you may know, the latest version of Puppy Linux has become
> Ubuntu-based. The live CD version is still only 128 MB, and it runs
> fine from CD or USB thumb drive.
>
> I've been playing with it today, running on a thumb drive (I used
> unetbootin to install it without problems).
>
> It's been many years since I looked at Puppy--and I must say I was
> somewhat blown away by the new version. Doing a few minor
> configuration tweaks was quick and easy; it automatically recognized
> and mounted all my partitions--including the NTFS partition--without
> issue out of the box. It played Windows media files and Flash Youtube
> video as well as .avi video files, quickly and correctly displayed
> .pdf files, read and extracted many different compressed formats--in
> short, it easily handled just about everything I could throw at it
> with no fuss or bother. Since it runs in memory, too, it is extremely
> fast.
>
> I can see where it an become fairly addictive--and it should be a
> Godsend to use on older equipment with limited resources. Besides
> Puppy's own repositories, it now fully supports the standard Ubuntu
> ones as well.
>
> If you haven't looked at it lately, you might try it out as I am doing
> and see what you think. I already know several old machines I'm going
> to recommend it for, in fact.
>
> David
>

Yes, Puppy is fast, and it recovers better from video card problems than Ubuntu 10.4 did. All you use is control-alt-backspace and choose instead of letting it guess, just like Puppy 4.31. Puppy LuPu is thanks to Barry's Woof system, so there will be new Slackware, Debian and others eventually. The next Quirky Puppy may work with the newer HTML 5 video package system, too. Watch Barry's Blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01614
http://puppylinux.org/news/

Have fun,
Joan in Reno

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment