Saturday, May 29, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Linux on an external HD

 

Thank you, thank you to everyone that responded! The computer my room mate has is a Gateway Media Center PC with plenty of plugs on it. The only reason I was looking into the 1TB HD's is because some of the 320GB ones are only about $10 less and so for the money, it seemed like you would have so much more for just a little extra cash. Plus, I have been looking into purchasing a laptop and most of them do not have very big HD's, so I thought I would be able to keep everything on one of these TB units and not clutter up a laptop. Thanks again. You all are the nicest computer related group I have ever encountered. I have been to computer type forums and such and most of them can be condescending and rude. Everyone here is very respectful and kind. I would recommend this group to anyone and already have. Have a great day.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> Yes. You can even install Linux to an 8 GB usb stick and it will run quite
> well. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 from a 16 GB SD card on my netbook. I run
> Fedora 12 from a usb external drives too. Check to see if your room-mate's
> computer boots from usb first. Even if it doesn't it is possible to make a
> CD to start the usb boot process; it just adds a second step. You could also
> look into WUBI which installs Ubuntu in Windows without any partitioning.
>
> see http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
> http://wubi-installer.org/
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi
>
> Roy
>
> On 29 May 2010 02:32, searcher1 <searcher125@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Linux can most certainly be run from an external HD. Before I upgraded my
> > internal HD, I was using Ubuntu on an external HD for several months. Ubuntu
> > was able to detect my computer's hardware automatically and could change the
> > drivers automatically when I plugged the external HD into another computer.
> > I am quite sure Mint can do likewise. You can choose not to mount the
> > internal HD and nothing in there will be touched. I still use Puppy Linux on
> > a USB pendrive and bring that with me everywhere I go.
> >
> > But 1 TB may be on the high side unless you are planning to install many
> > distros. Mint will need about 20 GB only.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Gabrielle <dawnyisrael13@... <dawnyisrael13%40yahoo.com>>
> > To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Sat, 29 May, 2010 2:57:55
> > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux on an external HD
> >
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I first want to say I have been enjoying reading and learning from all the
> > posts here.
> > I have a question and please do not roll your eyes at me for asking this. I
> > still have not been able to obtain a decent used computer for myself and am
> > at the mercy of using my room mates. He told me I absolutely could NOT
> > partition his hard drive and put some version of Linux on it. So, I have
> > seen that the price of an iOmega external 1TB HD is on sale right now for
> > around $80. Would I be able to plug in one of those to his computer and
> > download say Mint since I am a newbie, and then only use it off of that
> > external HD? Plus use it then on whatever computer I finally do obtain? This
> > is so he will not know or complain. I am alone with his computer during the
> > day, so I would have time to plug and play. I am not sure if these external
> > HD's require downloading anything to the main computer you are plugged into
> > or not. I do not want anything to show on his computer.
> > Anyway, I hope this was not an eye roller of a question.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment