Thursday, May 27, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Newbie with newly installed Debian "Lenny".

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Harry wrote:
> I wonder if someone can help me out. I am a newbie to Linux although I
> did have Mandrake running a few years ago. My Debian installation went
> fine until I tried to connect to my provider. GnomePPP loaded fine and
> dial-up dialed. After dialing it just hung there. I tried changing
> permissions (chmod) but that did not work.
>
> I am sure that there is another step that I am missing; a way to
> authenticate the connection possibly PAP or something like it. Any
> directions you might have would be appreciated. I don't know how to get
> PAP on top of PPP.
>

I used dial-up with Red Hat Linux for about for about four years. My ISP
was CompuServe Classic.

In order to connect, I had to visit the CompuServe Linux Forum, and get
the specific information for how to set up a 'send/expect' script, that
would send exactly what the Compuserve handshake protocol expected, and
then Compuserve would send the next step in the protocol, and if it
matched what my script 'expected', my script would send the next step to
Compuserve, and back and forth like that, until the handshake was
complete, and the connection established.

So you are probably going to get the connection procedure from your ISP,
and then do whatever you have to do in Debian, so that your machine and
your ISP can successfully negotiate the handshake.

If you live in an area that has regular ethernet service, like ATT,
things are a LOT simpler. In most cases, once you have your ethernet
modem set-up, you just start your computer, and you are on-line.

- --
- -wittig
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBS/7+Yf9qkhAVPSgqAQIIuQf/UVMz7iPmaPkhmREXsme7HWyPN3HWeOB8
7CN1UVJ6tnZqxmqkojFlU4qVgG+il/JDerfKTdyAHvHWzk/pXTM75ZTveCIRSJ+P
oQd5ek01stSWzSTnefJcl6YAuOeGXTeP9hNjLHdTgRrMh+nTT/S2UoI8wmFgjb6F
8Iqq25AeRLwo1BFe54m4aaIyXOo8Ht17PRIgGo2pWL7AKHgXvKkWjKqrBVHJlV5B
/Wv2W+XYrBGBy9oqP+nbYomhbrSP6oRhG5R4lDfAyHOu40ocSZCDAsftZwF1SXHz
uGLaRdNVFSL1+bM5P0fkRCgt7VPsn82/dDGs24WswAq4iTBjklYXcA==
=KpfB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment